West Ham‘s game against Dallas United at The Soccer Tournament was suspended on Thursday night when the Hammers walked off after allegations of racism.
It follows claims that a Dallas player used the n-word at West Ham’s Frank Nouble during the inaugural event in North Carolina.
Dallas have now left the tournament with their Friday game canceled and claimed they did so of their own choosing, despite reports elsewhere claiming that they had been disqualified.
Video clips surfaced on social media of West Ham’s Anton Ferdinand looking visibly irate and telling one opponent: ‘Why are you looking at me for? I’ll punch you up.’
In another, he clearly says to an opposition player: ‘I am here to set a precedent, now’ shortly before the team walked off the field.
‘As a result, tomorrow’s (Friday) game between Dallas United and Far East United has been canceled,’
Dallas said in a statement that they chose not to continue playing in the event.
‘In light of the shadow cast by an opposing player’s accusation during tonight’s match, the Dallas United players unanimously decided to withdraw from the remainder of the competition. Our coaches and staff fully support the team’s decision.We thank TST7v7 for the opportunity to compete in the tournament.’